Thursday, March 3, 2011

foodie debate.


I like food.
I like sustainable, locally-grown, vegetarian food even better.

Yes, I've jumped on that bandwagon. I don't know what else to call it, because I'm pretty sure in a year the number of vegetarians will plummet. I'd like to think that I won't just let it go, that my convictions are strong enough to transcend fashion. But hey.

The concept of eating ethically is tied with eating better quality, better tasting foods. So, many foodies are in the sustainable eating camp too. But one thing I've noticed is that people who are all about ethical food can be very snotty about it. (I try not to be, but maybe I come across that way too?) They're all like, "yuss, yuss, my food is sooooooooooo much tastier than yours, and no puppies were killed in the making of it, doesn't that mean I'm far more refined, more discriminating, and vastly morally superior, hmmmmm?"

B. R. Meyers from The Atlantic thinks so too, apparently.

I do care a lot about food issues, so I thought I'd post two articles from two very different perspectives on the clean/sustainable/ethical/organic food movement.

So, voila: "The Moral Crusade Against Foodies."

No comments:

Post a Comment