Monday, June 27, 2011

the summer reading list, final copy.

A People's History, Howard Zinn
Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster
House of Leaves, Mark Z. Danielewski
Everything is Illuminated, Jonathan Safron Foer
Custer Died for Your Sins, Vine Deloria
On the Road, Jack Kerouac
Stranger Things Happen, Kelly Link

I'm mostly done with A People's History--only around 200 pages left to go, which out of 800 pages feels like being on the last mile of a marathon, and I'm taking a break for a little while because I'm up to the really recent history and it's very taxing and depressing. Hopefully I can crash through House of Leaves while I'm on vacation with the fam. Celebration of Discipline will be a week's read, I think. Then I'm going to try to read Stranger Things and Custer Died together, because the latter will probably also be a tough read, as soon as I get back. Then, Everything is Illuminated and On the Road have got to be finished before August, leaving just enough time for me to power through Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, which is required reading for Oregon.

BEASTINNNNN.

Some that I still want to read, that may substitute for whichever books I can't get out of the library:
State of Wonder
Infinite Jest
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Things They Carried
Interpreter of Maladies

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you for reading A People's History on your own time! I had to read it for AP US History and I remember it being pretty dense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I tried to get through a chapter a day, but I've been slacking these past couple of days. It's definitely tough going!

    ReplyDelete